August 16: Trouble-shooting the Stylesheet

I had some trouble after I finished encoding the medicine and sales tags. This was because they were not part of the initial example that I used as the basis of my stylesheet. I opened the stylesheet and began experimenting with the format so that I could add my own. I was unable to figure out the key aspect of my versions that did not work. My first attempt looked like this:

<li style=”color:orange;text-decoration:none;”>Medicine</li>

<xsl:template match=”medicineName”>
<a style=”color:orange;text-decoration:none;” href=”{@ref}” title=”{@key}&#013;({@from}-{@claim})&#013;{@ingredients}”><xsl:value-of select=”.”/></a>

 

I reached to my professor and classmates on our Slack channel and to my brother. I reached out to my professor because he helped me begin the project by providing the stylesheet. I reached out to my classmates because I suspected that some of them were working on something similar. Indeed, I had a conversation with a fellow student @victoriabarker, who had similar questions about encoding people’s names and that whole process. I shared what I did and we discussed it in more detail. I also reached out to my brother because as an expert I knew, I could give him access to my screen and that would help with identifying the problem faster. Here are some of my notes explaining the process and results from this collaboration:

“I received help from the professor¬†and was able to get the “medicine code to turn red throughout the text.
However, my brother pointed out that I was missing the “href=”{@ref}” to actually link the item to a web page that would open when it was clicked on. I also wasn’t able to get the medicine categories all to show up in the “hover” function. I realised that it was because I only included the default variables from the professor, which were “key” and “ref”. Then I forgot to add the “@” sign to the beginning of item, further frustrating me until I re-read the document again and noticed the discrepancy with the original examples.”

I think the biggest thing that was difficult about this last step was that because I had received the stylesheet from the professor, I was using it without truly understanding what each component meant or how to modify it. I had no frame of reference and so I was totally confused when it didn’t work the first time. I didn’t panic and reached out to my professor and brother. Once I understood the different components, I was able to be directed towards a close comparison between the various mistakes I made over different layers of the project and the original versions.

This marked the end of encoding of the file and I was ready to begin manipulating the data in ways that would finally address the questions I set out to answer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *